- Community Development
- Building Division
The City of Brooksville Building Division handles all building permit activity including applications and inspections. The Building Division operates under the oversight of the Community Development Department.
Schedule or Cancel Inspections
To schedule an inspection, please email City of Brooksville Permits only. Your request will be processed and you will receive an email with the date and approximate time of your inspection.
To cancel an inspection, please email City of Brooksville Permits only. You will receive an email confirming the cancellation.
To our esteemed contractors, we will carry on with business as usual, with the exception of a few modifications:
- Social distancing - 6 feet or more - has been set as a guideline initiated by the government.
- Permit applications - We can accept email some permit applications.
- Plan review - We are looking at software to help facilitate us to perform plan reviews electronically.
- Inspections - Please help us ensure the good health of our inspectors, by notifying the occupants or homeowners that you have scheduled an inspection, and that they are comfortable with our arrival.
- Teamwork - Your patience is greatly appreciated, and by working together as a team, we will be able to get through this crisis.
- For plan reviews and inspection questions, feel free to call the Building Official, Mike Huard at 352-540-3853, or send an email City of Brooksville Permits.
Search for Property Within City of Brooksville Jurisdiction
- Search on the Hernando County Property Appraiser's Webpage
- If the Levy Code shows CWBE, your property is in our jurisdiction.
- If the Levy Code shows CWES, your property is out of our jurisdiction. Please contact the Hernando County building department.
Submit the permit application for review. If plans are to be included (as applicable) site plan, survey, floor plan with location of plumbing and electrical fixtures, mechanical details, elevations, electrical service panel, cross-sections of structural walls with details of materials and fasteners, roof framing plan, energy calculation (when new structures or additions are air-conditioned), etc., please make arrangements with the Permit Technician to drop off at a designated time at City Hall. Upon submitting your completed permit application and plans for review, the Permit Coordinator will process your application and then direct you to pay an upfront fee.
Plan reviews will be completed in several days. Residential permits take approximately 10 working days and commercial permits take approximately 10 working days. These time projections are for initial reviews only. You will be notified once processing is complete or if any corrections are needed.
After all, reviews are completed and approved, the applicant will receive their permit card by email. Please print your permit card and place it in the window of the property.
Pay By Mail
Your payment may be mailed to the following address, please add your permit number on the check:
City of Brooksville Permitting
201 Howell Avenue
Brooksville, FL 34605
Payments may be placed in the drop-box located beyond the drive-up window at City Hall at any time. Please note that any payments placed in the drop-box after our regular business hours will be posted the next business day.
Working Without Permit Penalties
FBC 109.4 Work commencing before permit issuance. Any person who commences any work on a building, structure, electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system before obtaining the building official's approval or the necessary permits shall be subject to a penalty of 100% of the usual permit fee in addition to the required permit fees.
FBC105.3.4 A building permit for a single-family residential dwelling must be issued within 30 working days of application therefore unless unusual circumstances require a longer time for processing the application or unless the permit application fails to satisfy the Florida Building Code or the enforcing agency's laws or ordinances.
To submit a permit, please email City of Brooksville Permits.
Effective September 1, 2021, we can no longer accept credit card payments.