The City Attorney shall be the chief legal adviser of, and attorney for the City and all Departments and offices thereof in matters relating to their official powers and duties.
Other City Attorney responsibilities include:
- Prosecutes and defends, for and on behalf of City, all complaints, suits, and controversies in which City is a party.
- Furnishes the City Council, City Manager, and Department Heads, with opinions on any questions of law relating to their respective powers and duties.
- Prepares and/or approves all contracts, bonds, and other formal instruments to form language and execution thereof.
- Attends and renders legal advice to City Council during General and Special Sessions of the Council.
- Prepares or approves resolutions, ordinances, and other such legal documents for the City.
- Performs such other professional duties as may be required by ordinance or resolution of the City Council, or by the City Charter, or such as are prescribed for City Attorneys under the laws of this State, not inconsistent with the City Code.